Sunday, May 06, 2007

On My Way

En Route - Seoul/Incheon South Korea

Yikes. First time I've left North America in ... almost 3 years I think? Sounds about right. Once again on my way to the Asian Continent.

I fly today to South Korea, arrive tomorrow afternoon and overnight there. Stay in a (hopefully) fancy hotel (it's expensive so it'd better be nice), and then fly on to Ulaanbataar, Mongolia monday night, arriving around 11pm. Hopefully someone will be at the airport to meet me, otherwise I might be in for a bit of an adventure.

I really never thought I'd be working off the continent until well after I graduate, but here I am a student for another 3 semesters on my way to work for four months in the Gobi Desert. Kind of a hard place to pack for, as it's extremely hot (up to high 40˚'s C) and can also be very cold (10˚'s and below at night). It's not uncommon for temperature fluctuations of 30˚ to happen in a single day (nuts!).

I'm excited to start work with Entree, and looking forward to working with a prof from Carleton University, as well as an ex-BC Ministry of Mines mapper. I should be getting all the experience I could hope for this summer.


From Seoul, Republic of Korea (South)
Is it wrong that the first words I see as we break through the brown-grey haze are English? Plastered there across a hangar "Korean Airlines" It's kind of scary how thoroughly English has invaded every aspect of foreign cultures.

I also feel tall. The roof of the arm from which we disembarked from was only a bout a foot from the top of my head. Awesome.

Next time from Mongolia

Song - Neighbourhood #2 (Laika)

No comments: