Thursday, May 17, 2007

Secret Handshake

Nearly two weeks in camp, and....well...like I said, it's pretty laid back.

I've spent the last couple of days learning the GIS software Entree uses. It's pretty exciting, but I'll most likely be the only one really proficient with it when all the other young geo's go on break (soon!). Other than that I've been out mapping a bit, as well as some sampling. Nothing too excited. I'm familiar with all of the core tech duties and sample shipment procedures, so..I think I've got the job down pat.


Just returned from my first run to the Gobi Store...only place to buy beer in few hundred kilometers. It was quite the experience. My driver (a Mongol) and I ran into a few local Mongols who had rolled up on their motorbike. One of them was...very drunk and..quite entertaining. Kept wanting to shake my hand and joke around. I'm also fairly certain he was making fun of me in Mongolian (kept gesturing to his face, I'm assuming in regards to my beard....), and the lady behind the counter kept speaking at him with a bit of venom in her voice. Quite the experience.

It ended with a few kicks inside each of our feet, a thumb grip handshake and a high five...Then we left. My driver wasn't very amused, and told me so on the drive back. I had a Mongolian phrasebook with me, but unfortunately there wasn't "leave me alone you crazy drunk" in there.

C'est La Vie.

it's 5pm now on Thursday, which means it's beer and nacho night. I love this camp. I've been talking to a few of you and your laying lines through devil's club and such, and..well..I guess I've got it pretty good 'round here. At least until the scorpions come out and the vipers start to migrate.

Song - Mentira - Manu Chao

No comments: