Monday, May 07, 2007

Ulaanbataar

What do you see when you think of Soviet Russia?

Large Rectangular buildings, very little excessive decoration, busy deteriorating streets?

That's...about right. Ulaanbataar is a bit bigger than I expected, but as it's really the only major city, I guess it should be pretty big. I feel like I was dropped into your stereotypical eastern European communist city...much of it was built in the 30's, 40's, and 50's. The hotel I'm in screams this era, and it seems like not many buildings have been repaired or upgraded since. The only real difference is....there are no Russians. The people are all very friendly and helpful, even if they barely speak and understand English.

For some reason or another the plane I was supposed to take down into camp was cancelled this morning, and instead I will be driven into camp tomorrow morning at 6am. With guards. I find this all very strange and exciting, but it will be nice to see the country. I imagine after the first time driving through I will want to fly though.

That's all for now.. Maybe some pictures or an update later if I get a chance to wander around a bit.

No comments: