Friday, June 30, 2006

In which, we enter the tundra

Today was my first day into the field in 9 or so months. It wasn't too bad, not as cold as last year, but it definitly wasn't as nice as the first day in camp. Wind chill was probably around 0, possibly lower...cloudy skies, threatening rain. It was apretty easy day, hiked only abotu 8km or so in a small area. We had to stake out a grid to go over with ground geophysical equipment. Not every interesting to people not into this stuff, but, we did get to see the drill running, which is always exciting.

As usual the weather was fast moving, but usually just cloudy today...but the clouds did do this crazy thing in the afternoon. They looked like giant rolling waves in the sky. The bottom layer was undulating quite a bit. It was actually really, really cool. Wish I had a camera.

Anyways, got to put my rubber boots to good use, got back out into the tundra, now I get to start working and losing weight and it's goign to be fantastic. I think, for now I might go for a short hike, maybe to the canyon, we'll see, possibly go fishing...the sun is still bright (as usual) and I'm not really that tired yet.

I'm still having trouble not going crazy thinking about the end of the summer...I can't wait for it to be here, not that I don't love what I'm doing...I just...really want August to get here soon.

1 comment:

Alex in Mongolia (crazy!) said...

It's a little flat, but I got some good ones last year...I'll get some pics up soon from the last couple days. The landscape is beautiful, at least to me..but it's also very, very flat...low rolling hills, kind of a light brownish colour...snow fields here and there, not much though now...

I'll see what I can do.