Tuesday, June 27, 2006

This is the part of me that thinks ants are cavemen

So, I'm back in Edmonton for the night, and I leave at 7am to fly north to Yellowknife, NWT and then on to Rankin Inlet, NU.

Yesterday was a long, long day. A word of advice for long-trip drives, don't do anything that could set you into a brooding mood. As you will continue to brood until you either get where your'e going, or go crazy and run your car through that guard rail at the top of the pass. Sometimes I wonder why my brain lets me do the things I do. Stupid brain, just because I drown you in alcohol on a regular basis doesn't mean I don't care what you make me do.

Anyways, driving through Idaho and Washington in mid to high 30 degree Celsius clear weather is a bitch. and as I was trying to conserve my gas, no airconditioning. all windows down, shorts, no shirt, bright sun....it was intense. I have a wicked, wicked "driver burn" on my left arm, and I have this almost bandolier looking white strip across my shoulder and chest from my seatbelt. SWEEEEET.

Got into Vancouver around Ten, total drive time was just over 12.5 horus.
(this is a long drive for someone with nothing to think about)
Modest Mouse is some of my favourite driving music ever, I definitely listened to all 100+ songs I have of theirs. every album got played at least once.

I had the easiest border crossing ever coming back in to Vancouver...
I just held my passport open to my picture as I pulled up, and the following conversation insued:

Lazy Guard: "Where were you?"
Me: "Montana"
Lazy Guard: "What for?"
Me: "A buddy's wedding"
Lazy Guard: "How long?"
Me: "8 days"
Lazy Guard: "value of goods coming back?"
Me: "Zero"
Lazy Guard: "Bye"



Alright, so tomorrow I will officially be on the tundra, well north of the Arctic Circle. You can actually see our camp from last year on Google Earth, but I can't remember the exact coordinates right now (maybe I"ll get those tonight and throw them on here for any interested)
Anyways, I'm excited, but need to repack all my bags and somehow find some room for some booze.







The guys and Shannon


Matt (the groom), Myself, and Grant (best man)


Paintballin'


The infamous Ball and Chain from the bachelor party, which is now part of a tradition, to be passed on to the next person from the wedding party who ..er...gets hitched.

No comments: