Saturday, July 08, 2006

killin' time

So, we had a second day off today.

yesterday the weather was terrible in the morning, but we did get out into the field to map some boulder fields for a bit in the afternoon.

Today there was a minor problem with the drill, so both the helicopters were occupied in trying to get more parts for it. So us geo's got to hang around camp looking for odd jobs to do. Lots of coffee breaks, and wandering around. Not much time spent outside, as again, the weather ended up being pretty bad. No snow today, but it was bitterly cold with occasional rain. Just another beautiful day in Nunavut.

I'm picking up a new skill/hobby. One of Geo's here broughtup a bunch of different files and such, and he's beginning to learn how to carve caribou antler. I became quite interested, and have decided to try my hand at it. Starting pretty basic, but hopefully I get some decent looking things as the summer goes on. Pretty much I can make rings. File out the middle, polish the surface...and there you have it. Rafael, the geo who started me on this is getting pretty good, and can actually create shapes on the rings and such. It's a pretty time consuming process, already killed a couple hours, and I just have the basic shape, and fitted to my finger, now just have to wear down the outside edges and polish it up.

I've also decided to grow a classic handlebar mustache. So, if anyone can suggest a decent mustache wax, I'd be much appreciative. I've almost got the curls going, just need the ends to be a bit longer. This is a classy Wyatt Earp style handlebar, not the biker handlebar. Think Captain Hook style. Oh yea. I'm bringing this to UVic, and it's going to be awesome.

1 comment:

Ian said...

The mustache thing is awesome Alex. I'm attempting to grow a field beard, but my stash is lacking.